We're installing McGaughy's 2/4 drop with spindles on my 2003 RCSB this weekend. The rear was easy.
We moved right on to the front and now we may be stuck until monday. We've only managed to knock the heads off of the rivets on the drivers side which was pretty effortless with an air chisel and a grinder. We drilled through one but it took nearly an hour and it's still not completely drilled out. The remaining 3 rivets on that side seem nearly impossible to drill through.
Anyone have any advice? This is the only thing holding us up.
I had a 90 gmc sierra tha ti had to pop the rivets out of the upper control arm ball joints before i could replace them. I took a grinder and grinded the head of the rivets off, then i went back with a punch and knocked them out.
We got the rivets removed and the ball joints relocated. I figured out why we couldn't tap the rivets out on the drivers side. My friend Ben ground the heads off the top of the rivets and it pretty much welded everything together on that side so we had to drill those 4 out.
We moved on to the passenger side today and started drilling. Instead of letting Ben grind the heads of the rivets off I decided to drill them out by gradually stepping up to a 1/2" bit. We then got a chisel and BFH and the heads popped right off, allowing the rivets to be tapped down and out in just a few hits.
I know this is all pretty common knowledge to most of you but I just wanted to share. Thanks again!