Go Back   Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com > Modification > Interior

Interior Upholstery, trim, gauges, etc.

Welcome to GmFullsize.com

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
jimmyb496

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Interior Door Panel Removal How To 2008, 2009, 2010 GMC Sierra SLT

Places like GM Full Size Forum, Corvette Forum, and Trailvoy Forum have help me so much through the years with how too's, ideas, and other stuff. REcently I need to change out the drivers mirror on my 2010 SLT Duramax Crew. However, I searched the internet to learn how to remove the door panel and couldn't really find complete instructions w/ pics and stuff. So I struggled through it, made a few mistakes, learn a few things, and got the job done with great results. I figured I'd contribute to the forum would with this write up. I hope it helps someone some day.

Removal Interior Door Panel

Tools
Small Screw Driver
10mm Socket w/ 6” extension
Rugged Plastic Squeegee (not required, but it might help separate some pieces enough to get your fingers behind for pulling)
Plastic Weld Epoxy (just kidding, hopefully because you’re reading this you won’t need this item like I did)

Remove the triangle panel located behind the mirror There are 3 push clips on the back side. One is at the top and one is at the front corner, both attached to the metal door frame. The third is in the back corner attached to the top of the door panel. I kind of tugged on the top corner to release that clip, then the front, then the back. Unfortunately, I must have pulled the top corner down way too much because the plastic stud holding the bottom clip on broke. (Thus the Plastic Weld Epoxy shown in tools pic, which worked like a charm).

Remove the lock. I took a small screw driver, stuck it in the little slotted opening and gently twisted it to pop open the “clasp”. It doesn’t take much and the clasp only pops out about 1/8” or so…enough to release from the threaded rod it is attached to.

Behind the door open lever, there is an access cover. I used a small screw driver in the slot to carefully pry it up. The cover easier pops off revealing a 10mm bolt.

Remove the 10mm bolt.

Behind the arm rest, there is another access cover. Use a small screw driver to carefully pry up from the bottom. The cover easier pops off revealing (2) 10mm bolts.

Remove the (2) 10mm bolts.

Remove the Drivers Control Panel. This is simply held in by two clips, one in the front and one in the back. I had a difficult time negotiating this because I didn’t want to break it (it look like an expensive dealer item). I worked the side up a little to feel it out, and I think it work best to pull up from the front end first. Which ever side you get out first, the opposite side will follow much easier.

Here are pics of the front and back clips so you have an idea of what you’re up against.

Remove the (4) wire harnesses going to the back of the Control Panel. They are very well marked, so I didn’t bother label anything. Before you disconnect, just make sure the grey connector goes to the grey socket, brown to brown, and so on.

Set the Control Panel aside and you can tuck the wire harnesses in the door panel. The grey harness actually stays with the door panel so you can leave that one hanging through the opening if you want.

Remove the Door Panel. It is held in by about 11 or 12 push clips (picture of the inside of the door panel below).

Start at the front, upper sections and pull with a quick jerk and the clips release pretty easily. Work your way around the bottom and then back up the side. Once you all the way up the back part of the door panel, lift up on the panel to unhook it from the window ledge. You can pull the panel away from the door about 6-8 inches. Look behind the panel and you will see the Interior Door Lever Cable attached to the Door Lever. NOTE: At the bottom of the door panel there are (2) hooks. Put the in the corresponding holes in the door frame. They will support the door panel so you don’t need to hold it up while removing the cable.

Remove the Door Lever Cable. Take a small screw driver to press in the two tangs of the cable sleeve end. Push the end through the hole. Then just pull the cable ball out of the lever’s pocket.

Remove the Panel from the vehicle.

NOTE: During this process, what ever you do, don’t try to pry the inside trim piece off that is surrounding the door lever, your heated seat buttons, and the driver memory buttons. This assembly is bolted onto the door panel from behind. This is the second use I had for the Plastic Weld Epoxy.

jimmyb496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
l PATRICK l
I abuse drugs.

Default Re: Interior Door Panel Removal How To 2008, 2009, 2010 GMC Sierra SLT

Nice write up bro, may have been done before, but excellent anyways!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
gman31
GMFS Member

Nice. May need to use this someday.
gman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
CUB
GMFS Senior Member

Looks like you didnt look hard enough
http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93769
CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
javzh
get down or lay down

Originally Posted by CUB View Post
Obviously you can't tell the difference cub. This is for an ltz trim, the handle removal thread is for the other lower trims.
Btw Nice write-up man.

08 Silverado CCSB - 6/9 djm arms, belltech spindles, struts. MCG flip kit, mcg shackles, MCG helper bags, BB tune
04 silverado RCSB - le' project. lq4/4L80e
javzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
StreetGMC
GMFS Member

Originally Posted by CUB View Post
Originally Posted by javzh View Post
Obviously you can't tell the difference cub. This is for an ltz trim, the handle removal thread is for the other lower trims.
Btw Nice write-up man.
+1

Thanks for the great write-up. It will help me a lot if I decide to switch out my door handles so I don't break a bunch of clips like I usually do haha
StreetGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
blackvette61

It is an excellent write up, thanks in advance. I plan to install HushMat on the driver's side door to start the process of sound proofing my 2011 Yukon Denali.

Anyone have experience doing this? If so any tips on avoiding pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.
blackvette61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
FreddieG
GMFS Member

Sticky this badboy
Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Mr. 960
GMFS Senior Member

YUP!!!! nice job!
Mr. 960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
5speed

Just what I was looking for. I'm hoping it's the same process for the SLE trim package..or I might need to borrow your epoxy!
5speed is offline   Reply With Quote