Go Back   Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com > General > Maintenance

Maintenance Keep your fullsize well-maintained.

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
NorcalZ71
GMFS Senior Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Transfer case removal?

Tim, does the gasket come with the t-case rebuild kit? I'm pulling it due to possible need for a rebuild/replacement, otherwise I will definitely just get the single gasket.

NorcalZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
Phil
Weird Turns Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by NorcalZ71 View Post
I am thinking my destruction noise is coming from my t-case
Describe this noise to me, it may be the same noise my truck was making before I took it off the road last summer

There's a Cadillac out in the dark
There's a guitar gangster lighting a smoke
And he feels the night, and he feels the fire
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
brianZ71
GMFS Senior Member

Super easy. Yes you can bench press it full of fluid. If you tip it way back fluid will run out where the rear shaft goes in and it will get messy. The tranny will drip a little bit. It's only those 6 bolts, linkage, wiring, and shafts. If you can't get a wrench on the top bolts put a Jack under the tranny crossmember and unbolt crossmmber from frame and lower it a little. Leave Jack under it so you don't put all that stress on the motor mounts. I used a shitload of rtv, but will get the gasket front The dealership now that I know they have one.

I think that pretty much sums it up lol. I know most if that was already posted, but hearing it from multiple peoe always makes me more confident so I figured I'd say my piece.
brianZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
Noremac
GMFS Member

Originally Posted by brianZ71 View Post
Super easy. Yes you can bench press it full of fluid. If you tip it way back fluid will run out where the rear shaft goes in and it will get messy. The tranny will drip a little bit. It's only those 6 bolts, linkage, wiring, and shafts. If you can't get a wrench on the top bolts put a Jack under the tranny crossmember and unbolt crossmmber from frame and lower it a little. Leave Jack under it so you don't put all that stress on the motor mounts. I used a shitload of rtv, but will get the gasket front The dealership now that I know they have one.

I think that pretty much sums it up lol. I know most if that was already posted, but hearing it from multiple peoe always makes me more confident so I figured I'd say my piece.
yeah... i plan on getting the gasket if/when i pull the t-case again... i usually rule out the stealorship right away just because on average they are higher than the parts stores

future plans: 6" rough country lift, 3" body lift, and 37's, .. refresh suspension, brakes, engine etc..
Noremac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
brianZ71
GMFS Senior Member

I've never had an issue with rtv leaking so I'm not really worried about it. If it leaks I'll replace it with a gasket.
brianZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
Noremac
GMFS Member

same here... if anything i use rtv sort of as a glue to hold gaskets in place during installation

future plans: 6" rough country lift, 3" body lift, and 37's, .. refresh suspension, brakes, engine etc..
Noremac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
Tim W
GMFS Senior Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by NorcalZ71 View Post
Tim, does the gasket come with the t-case rebuild kit? I'm pulling it due to possible need for a rebuild/replacement, otherwise I will definitely just get the single gasket.
GM doesn't offer a t-case rebuild "kit" per se, each part is to be bought separately

just so you guys know, there's 3 different gaskets for the adapters, depending on OBS, NBS, NNBS and some depend on which t-case you have, if you guys would like I can throw the other ones up here and tell you the difference between them

2005 Silverado ECSB 4x4/tint/ 2/4 drop/Tahoe 20s/more to come
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ/wifemobile
1991 XJ/33-12.50 KM1's/IronRockOffroad 5.5LA, 4.56s/Detroit/Spartan/MileMarker winch/JCRoffroad sliders/homemade bumpers/smashed and bashed
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee/stock as hell
Tim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
NorcalZ71
GMFS Senior Member

thanks again guys, feeling pretty solid about the removal just got to find some time to do it here soon. I am crossing my fingers that the grinding I am hearing is coming from the case and is not to big a deal. I think t-case is the cheapest of the multiple other places it could be, it definitely sounds like it is coming from the case though.
NorcalZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #19
Tim W
GMFS Senior Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

yeah, they're not too bad, I used to install t-cases mostly by myself, hoist it up with both hands, and hold it in with one hand while putting the nuts & bolts in with the other

2005 Silverado ECSB 4x4/tint/ 2/4 drop/Tahoe 20s/more to come
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ/wifemobile
1991 XJ/33-12.50 KM1's/IronRockOffroad 5.5LA, 4.56s/Detroit/Spartan/MileMarker winch/JCRoffroad sliders/homemade bumpers/smashed and bashed
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee/stock as hell
Tim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #20
1BAD9T7
Blown Daily

Which case do you have? I have an extra 241 setting on the floor at my shop... Been looking to sell it pretty cheap

Jason
1997 Yukon "May 2012, petersons 4wheel and Offroad magazine cover truck!" Dana 60/ 14 bolt FF, built 4L80E, Powerdyne supercharger @ 11lbs. of boost,Alcohol Injection, Chameleon pearl flames, etc,etc,etc.

1991 Camaro RS/Z28 low 11 second weekend toy
1969 Camaro SS
1957 Chevy 150 utility sedan
2006 Mercedes CLS 500
2004 F-250 ccsb
1BAD9T7 is offline   Reply With Quote