Go Back   Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com > General > The Garage

The Garage Discuss tools and everything else that happens in the garage.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
tomhol
GMFS Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Air tool sockets vs. regular sockets

whats the difference, why cant i use my regular carftsmen suckets on an impact wrench. whats the difference between them, harder meterial to put up with more force or what?
tomhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Whifflebat
GMFS Member

Default Re: Air tool sockets vs. regular sockets

They're thicker. Also, if you look at the inside of a socket thats been used with an impact for a while, the square hole will have rounded corners from the impact use, which will make it looser. That happens to both kinds, but I wouldn't want to be using a loose socket on a hand wrench, it would get annoying pretty quick.
Whifflebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
Dark Eternal
Drive It Like Ya Stole It

You can and will evetually shatter a normal socket on an impact. I shattered a few. I now have both impact and normal sockets and use them in their respective applications. They arnt cheap, but if you use them as much as I do they are worth it.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
Whifflebat
GMFS Member

ALso, some companies that sell sockets won't let you return them if they see the rounded out socket hole from the impact.
Whifflebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #5
tomhol
GMFS Member

I got a craftsmen impact wrench for 170 bucks. I like it a lot, but since it was so expensive, i only bought a few sockets for it and wondered if i could use my sockets from my other craftsmen hand tools. The wrench has a max tq output of 600ft/lbs so it should handle everything on my truck and most things on my farm tractor. I love craftsmen's i break it they buy warranty.
tomhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
silveradoreb
Little E Fan

Most Impact sockets are black, the craftsmen ones are expensive but if you look around you can find them cheaper, at local auto parts stores. And yes they will shatter, I think i have broken a craftsmen or two.

TOW RIG and DD
2007 2500HD Classic- Duramax LBZ/Allison
PPE Tuner, Edge Evo

1984 K30 Truggy
TH400/D60/14 FF
Twin Sticked 205
silveradoreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 AM   #7
carterbeauford
GMFS founding member

Originally Posted by tomhol
I got a craftsmen impact wrench for 170 bucks. I like it a lot, but since it was so expensive, i only bought a few sockets for it and wondered if i could use my sockets from my other craftsmen hand tools. The wrench has a max tq output of 600ft/lbs so it should handle everything on my truck and most things on my farm tractor. I love craftsmen's i break it they buy warranty.
i think your questions have already been answered... but no, you really should not use chrome hand tool sockets with an impact wrench, especially one that powerful. they will fail sooner rather than later. all you're doing is ruining good sockets and wasting a trip back to sears. if your socket is split in half and the square drive end is rounded they might question you because it's not hard to tell you didn't do it with a 1/2 ratchet. harbor freight has cheap impact sockets. they might not be the best but will hold up way longer than any chrome socket.

'13 IH Prostar
'13 4runner
'11 Ram 6.7L/G56
'09 G6
'85 thick blonde
'15 Deere X750 diesel
'41 Deere B
'57 Deere 620

on order
'93 911
'49 Chevy truck
carterbeauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
BRIDGEZ71
GMFS Member

don't use the chrome with a impact-as the rest of the guys have said.
i work in a stealership and let me tell you,a busted chrome socket can turn into a million splinters real quick-those are probably the worst to try and dig out.
BRIDGEZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
topekachevy

actually impact sockets are softer which is why they are thicker. they are much more effective on an airtool as well less vibration. but the main concern between the two is when using a typical socket on an impact is not only can they crack but they can also explode like a bomb. just imagine having your hand wrapped around it when it decides to detonate. didn it one time and i was lucky enough to have a pair of leather gloves on. they took the brunt of the force and only recieved a couple scratches.
topekachevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:28 AM   #10
J_Cizzo
GMFS Member

as topekachevy said, the metal used on an impact socket is much softer then the metal used on a regular socket, this is b/c an impact gun will eventually shatter a regular socket... they make the regular sockets thinner b/c they can get into tighter places and won't see the abuse that an impact socket will... plus chances are, eventually the impact socket will fail, no matter how good it is, and if they make it too heavy and strong then instead of the impact socket failing the anvil on the gun will, which would you rather have fail?... the impact sockets kinda act like a shock absorber between the gun and the bolt, letting the gun do its job without destroying itself...
J_Cizzo is offline   Reply With Quote