GMC Truck Forum banner

Wheel Rescue

6K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  kids-at-711 
#1 ·
Right before I bought my current forces, I came across some 20x10 AF Target's for diiiiiirt cheap. The reason they were so cheap is because they have some stupid swirl design in them. I don't know why anyone would ever do this to a set of forces, but anyways...
Here's the victim:

So, I started with one spoke and started testing the waters. Keep in mind, I've never done anything like this.
Here's the first spoke untouched:

First I took a powerball and some compound just to see if anything would happen. All it did was make it shinier:

Round 2:

Soooo, I took some 600 grit and went to town:

And this is what I ended with on night one:

I was somewhat disappointed, so on night number two I stopped fuckin around.. I started sanding and didn't stop until I got carpal tunnel

I then proceeded to buff and buff and buff... and this is where I sit after night two and six beers later:

Very VERY minimal swirls you can only see at a certain angle. I'm not done yet, but I'm somewhat proud of myself.
Before and After:

Thanks [MENTION=18730]budrun[/MENTION] for the advice by the way!
I'll post finished pics when I get them all finished.

See less See more
#2 ·
In for results, Good progress so far. I've got an aluminum skid plate I'm trying to bring back. I don't really know what I'm doing either just playing around with different sand paper grits

#6 ·
In for results, Good progress so far. I've got an aluminum skid plate I'm trying to bring back. I don't really know what I'm doing either just playing around with different sand paper grits
Right on man, just keep playin with it!

Makes my fingers hurt just looking at the pics.

They look super wide for a x10
Yeah, that's why I like AF, they have a super deep lip.

They're nice and flat could you use a DA on them? Looks 17173839201x better already
I probably could, but I couldn't find ours.
Thanks!

In to see how my wheels turn out :cheeky:
:secret:

#7 ·
Hmm not sure how I feel. I like the smooth but I can see why they did the swirl to give it some flare so they don't look so plain.

#16 ·
Wetsand with 400. Spiral sewn wheel with green compound after that. And you won't have sore fingers. Lol
Right on I'll get some green compound tonight.
I almost bought these lol. what did you end up paying?
Not a lot ;)
Listen to budrun.

If you don't have an angle grinder, go spend $30 at Harbor Freight and get the big one. Then order a kit to put the polishing wheels on the grinder and you'll be able to work fast and produce much better results.
Yeah I got a grinder, I'll see what I need to convert tonight.

#20 ·
If you have the time and patients keep working it and keep sanding and wet sanding finer and finer and you can make those look like perfectly mirror finish brand new chrome. In the end have the cleanest wheels on the block and the biggest forearms lol

#21 ·
I finally finished these up tonight. Between working on my new place and the girlfriend I haven't had too much time but I got the last one all shined up tonight. I used 400 grit then 800 then 2000 and it really helped them shine, I finished off with mothers polish. This last one I buffed by hand a final polish and it turned out like a fricken mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.