GMC Truck Forum banner

Front diff blown?

5K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  JonZ71 
#1 ·
Ok guys so I was riding a dirt road today and came up on a hill so I decided I'd ease up it so I put the truck in 4 lo and started up it got almost on top and it started spinning 3 tires so I held the brakes a little to make all 4 spin and it worked but still would not make it. Anyways tried afew times and the last time I put the brakes on again just enough to make the front end posi and I heard a pop all the sudden and my front tires No longer spun. No grinding of gears or anything just one pop. I drove it home and heard No noises front tires still turned perfectly even in 4wd. So has anyone had this happen and What was the problem? Tomorrow I will Jack the truck up and put it in 4wd and turn one front tire and the other one should spin backwards just like the rear does I believe but just wondering if anyone has had a single pop and No more 4wd?

#5 ·
You don't have posi in the front.

Look under it putting it in 4wd is and spinning the tires is not going to do anything. And open diff will spin the tires opposite directions.

Did it make any noise while you were driving back home or did you trailer it?

Moral of the story you should look under it chances are a cv is hanging if you did anything. That is usually the weakest link

#6 ·
Front end posi? No.

Riding the dirt road? No ****?
When you apply the brakes and give it throttle it will spin both front tires. Try it if you don't believe me.
y u need 4lo?
Didn't need it I don't guess but just trying to ease up a hill.
did you get out and look at everything? did you hear an odd rattling or clunking while driving after that? your cv joint is probably busted, hanging down somewhere, and spinning as you drive.
Did not hear anything after the pop when driving. Checked to cvs and nothing has came off.

You don't have posi in the front.

Look under it putting it in 4wd is and spinning the tires is not going to do anything. And open diff will spin the tires opposite directions.

Did it make any noise while you were driving back home or did you trailer it?

Moral of the story you should look under it chances are a cv is hanging if you did anything. That is usually the weakest link
I know it doesn't have a locker in the front but when I held the brakes a little it started spinning both front tires just like with my tru trac in the rear. I have looked at the cvs and nothing seems to be out of place and No noise. It drove home fine in 2wd. Also if the diff was ruined would it still spin the other tire in the opposite direction?

#7 ·
Front end posi? No.

Riding the dirt road? No ****?
Also riding the forest service roads when the leaves are off the trees is awesome. Beautiful views front the tops of mountains

#10 ·
Got to check it out and my right cv broke so No big deal. Gana swap to nnbs cvs and remove my spacer. And ravine thanks for the help bro would never have figured that shit out with you dumb ass comments :yaoface2:. And just so you know next time the front end doesn't posi give it a little brake and it will. I know the front end is open but it works

#11 ·
Got to check it out and my right cv broke so No big deal. Gana swap to nnbs cvs and remove my spacer. And ravine thanks for the help bro would never have figured that shit out with you dumb ass comments :yaoface2:. And just so you know next time the front end doesn't posi give it a little brake and it will. I know the front end is open but it works
Please install a posi unit in your front diff. srs.

#12 ·
Please install a posi unit in your front diff. srs.
Don't think they make em and wouldn't do it if they did because I know the 8.25 can't handle it just the reason they don't make them but you should probably weld your gears together and drive in 4wd at all times cause I can tell you're a bad ass like that

#13 ·
Don't think they make em and wouldn't do it if they did because I know the 8.25 can't handle it just the reason they don't make them but you should probably weld your gears together and drive in 4wd at all times cause I can tell you're a bad ass like that
holy shit thats a super long sentence but i dont have 4 wheel drive so i cant weld my front differential thats why think you should cause it would make you badass like me cause im badass

#14 ·
You can get a locker for the front diff in a Hummer, either ARB or Detroit I believe... but swapping in would be some intense work I'd imagine.

So, now I'm wondering if you using the brakes had any effect on stressing the CV axle to break?
Or when you were ascending the hill were you turning side to side for grip?

#16 ·
You can get a locker for the front diff in a Hummer, either ARB or Detroit I believe... but swapping in would be some intense work I'd imagine.

So, now I'm wondering if you using the brakes had any effect on stressing the CV axle to break?
Or when you were ascending the hill were you turning side to side for grip?
I think the brakes were a major contribution in the failure. Pure dumbass imo

#18 ·
That said, try this trick: Modern cars now have traction (also called stability) control that directs power to the wheel with the most grip. This works pretty well when you’re moving and, say, one wheel begins to hydroplane. However, from a standstill, traction control can hinder takeoff. The car’s computer will apply the brake to one spinning wheel, torque will transfer to the other wheel (which is also spinning), the brake will be applied to that wheel also, and you’ll have two spinning wheels with the rear brakes applied.

See the problem? Try deactivating the traction control (press the button on the dash) and applying the throttle (even if the wheels spin a bit) to get moving. Turn it back on as soon as you’re on the road, unless you’re using snow chains.

#20 ·
This Forum is the land of Pavement-Princesses. OP knows what he's talking about. If you have open diffs and you're spinning, riding on the brakes can hook you up like a posi and get you out. Also good luck finding an 8.25 ifs mechanical locker. Only produced for the 9.25 ifs.

OP, check your CV shaft you may have snapped on. If not, lift the front tires off the ground, unplug the front ifs actuator. There are 2 wires + and - . Hook it up to the battery to engage the cv shafts. Spin the front drive shaft by hand to see if you have a snapped inner shaft.

#21 ·
This Forum is the land of Pavement-Princesses. OP knows what he's talking about. If you have open diffs and you're spinning, riding on the brakes can hook you up like a posi and get you out. Also good luck finding an 8.25 ifs mechanical locker. Only produced for the 9.25 ifs.

OP, check your CV shaft you may have snapped on. If not, lift the front tires off the ground, unplug the front ifs actuator. There are 2 wires + and - . Hook it up to the battery to engage the cv shafts. Spin the front drive shaft by hand to see if you have a snapped inner shaft.
Did you not read the thread? He said there is a broken cv.

#22 ·
Got distracted by everyone's Bull Shit.:throw:

#23 ·
Yep broken cv axle on passenger side. Just took mine back to autozone and wheeled and dealed with a guy and got a nnbs cv in exchange for my broke one with a lifetime warranty and I paid $20 more. So I can now remove my spacer on that's on there with the fabtech and run the longer one and have better angles. Gana swap the other side Sunday for same price :big_banana_Dance:

#24 ·
I think the brakes were a major contribution in the failure. Pure dumbass imo
Ding ding ding we have a winner. No shit holding the brakes isn't a good idea in 4wd. I do it all the time with the emergency brake for my tru trac. Sorry you fail to understand bro

#25 ·
Since there is more bias towards the front I would bet it played a part in the cv failure.
What do you mean more bias to the front? Like more weight?
That said, try this trick: Modern cars now have traction (also called stability) control that directs power to the wheel with the most grip. This works pretty well when you’re moving and, say, one wheel begins to hydroplane. However, from a standstill, traction control can hinder takeoff. The car’s computer will apply the brake to one spinning wheel, torque will transfer to the other wheel (which is also spinning), the brake will be applied to that wheel also, and you’ll have two spinning wheels with the rear brakes applied.

See the problem? Try deactivating the traction control (press the button on the dash) and applying the throttle (even if the wheels spin a bit) to get moving. Turn it back on as soon as you’re on the road, unless you’re using snow chains.
I don't have traction control bud

#26 ·

Thanks man glad you understand that. I'm not saying I have a locker but holding the brakes a little will make it posi sometimes. :shake: Although don't think I'm Gana do it again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.