GMC Truck Forum banner

CA engine swap Advice *PLEASE HELP*

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Hogg 
#1 ·
I have a 1989 K1500 with an edelbrock 350 in it. I want to get this truck street legal but CA smog regulations is making this really confusing for me... So what I want mostly is a smog legal truck, but I also want more than 210hp (I want more like 300) which is what the stock engine had. Lastly I want to keep this under $2500 what is my best option?

A chevy crate engine will cost me a little too much. Any Advice?

Im kind of desperate here

#2 ·
Fuck CA. I should know I live here. This tarnished state is the strictest I know on smog legal shit. Your best bet would be to smog under the table. Also with the year of your truck it will most likely always be test only or that gold shield, star crap testing only. It must have the original fuel induction system and exhaust. You may be able to drop a zz4 crate engine or do a mild 350 build up that won't hurt emissions much, but still pass visuals.

Mr. 960

#3 ·
Why not just swap a 5.3 in there. Its newer technology and its reliable and you can easily pass emissions. Just as long as there is like a million catalytic converters on your exhaust and an egr valve you should be fine.

#5 ·
this may help..from the CARB..

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450
After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine

they can be REAL PR**KS but it can be done, just has to be ALL legal

good luck..

#6 ·
u can make anything pass here :secret: doesn't have to be CA legal :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.