GMC Truck Forum banner

Corrected 175k Miles of Auto Washes on Kyle's Black Tahoe

11K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  erikc96 
#1 ·
Kyle (blue 02) recently picked up a black 2007 Tahoe that is in outstanding condition interior wise. The exterior was a different story as it was not only black, but appeared to have been ran through auto washes on a regular basis. I feel like the previous owner took very good care of the truck, they just didn't know any better when it came to the outside. I will say, this truck looks NOTHING like the mileage would make you think. The interior is almost mint and it must have been a highway cruiser as there isn't a lot of wear and tear like you'd expect.

Condition upon arrival.

Exterior:

Interior:

Interior wise, I steamed the seats and cleaned the steering wheel. Not much else was really needed.

Interior after being steamed:

Kyle had planned to debadge the truck, so it made sense to do it before the paint correction. I removed the "TAHOE" lettering along with the "LTZ" and "Flexfuel" badges.

Paint underneath the badges is what the truck looked like when new:

This truck went through dealership "prep" from what I could tell. As you guessed, they did pretty much nothing except grease up the seats and engine bay :)

Fresh clay bar after doing just the hood:

After washing and claying the truck, it was time to bring it into the garage for the better part of a day.

Condition of the paint under my lights, yikes!

50/50 after compounding with my Rupes 21:

Passenger fender condition:

After a few passes:

I was able to achieve pretty good correction, even on some of the more extreme defects:

Finally complete!

In all, I spent around 15-16 hours on this truck. While it took a lot of work, a two step correction was necessary due to the condition of the paint upon arrival. My Rupes 21 really shined on the huge flat panels and it would have been a much longer day without it. While the truck was huge and seemingly never ending, I have to say it was fun to watch the paint coming back to life as I worked the panels. Overall, I enjoyed it as this was one of the tougher paint corrections that I've done and challenged me quite a bit.

I would like to say thanks to Kyle for giving me the opportunity to work on his new truck! Also, can't wait to see it dropped on the 24s :favorites37:

See less See more
#5 ·
Geez those before photos really show how bad the paint was abused! The outcome is very impressive. I can't wait to swirl it all up!! Ha! Then she can come back and get that pin striped removed! Thanks once again. Momma is very happy!

#7 ·
Great correction. What cutting and polishing compounds did you use?

#10 ·
It will look like this in the coming weeks. Drop, wheels, and tires are already in my possession or in the mail. Side molding is staying as its daily driven by a woman... Haha

#17 ·
Wow what a turn around..I love seeing detailing pics. Amazing how much shit you can clear up if you know what you're doing.

#22 ·
15-16 hours....that's an expensive job

#26 ·
Now it's time for her to see Anthony for some PDR work!
If you want it done this week, I can do Friday AM like 9ish (have to be in Katy after 11am) and depending how long Im out there possibly that afternoon/early evening and Saturday AM - even tho weather isn't looking so well. If it gets late or weather is the suck, a garage w/light would be needed. I can come to you or you can come to me, I'm @ 249 & Louetta Rd area near Champion Forest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.