GMC Truck Forum banner

Complete disassembly and reassembly of a IFS front axle.

180K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  walkev.kw 
#1 ·
This is straight from the GM Tech manual on how they do it. If you are mechanically inclined, you dont need the Jxxxxx tools as they are Kent More (expensive) tools.

Please noone post until I have finished all the posts. It will be a long and cover 8.25 and 9.25 axles. Pictures will come at a later date!

#52 ·
Re: Complete disassembly and reassembly of a IFS front assembly.

Inner Shaft and/or Housing Replacement - Front Drive Axle 8.25 S4WD and 9.25 Axles

5. For the 9.25 inch axle, install the following components into the inner axle shaft housing:

Important

Use chassis grease in order to hold the thrust washer in place.
1. The thrust washer (5)
2. Ensure the tabs on the thrust washer are aligned with the slots in the inner axle shaft housing (4). The second thrust washer (6)
3. The retainer ring (7) onto the inner axle shaft (1).
4. Determine the clutch gear shim thickness. Refer to Inner Axle Shaft Shim Adjustment .
5. The clutch gear shim (9)
6. The clutch sleeve (8)
7. The clutch fork assembly (11)
8. The clutch fork inner spring (10)
6. Apply sealant to the inner axle housing to differential carrier sealing surface. Use the correct sealant. Refer to Sealers, Adhesives, and Lubricants .
Can someone possibly help me find the part numbers for #5 and #6 above? I am in need of both thrust washers and I can't seem to find the numbers anywhere. Every diagram I find shows only #5 in the 8.25 IFS diagram. Thanks to anyone who can help!

#53 ·
Re: Complete disassembly and reassembly of a IFS front assembly.

Can someone possibly help me find the part numbers for #5 and #6 above? I am in need of both thrust washers and I can't seem to find the numbers anywhere. Every diagram I find shows only #5 in the 8.25 IFS diagram. Thanks to anyone who can help!
paging dr. f g t ( [MENTION=5214]Tim W[/MENTION] )

#54 ·
Shameless bump for assistance. :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.