GMC Truck Forum banner

Questions on buying High milage NBS trucks

Question 
3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Rowdyrado 
#1 ·
Been scanning the local Craigslist since my 01 got totaled and i haven't found a whole lot that's not beat to hell and back or they want 15k+. Looking for a 2006-2007 LT crew Cab (must have leather).

Narrowed it down to one semi local, and only thing is it has 250,xx on it. Price is very reasonable, paint looks good, no dents i can see in pictures, and inside seems clean. There are driving it about 100 miles to me, but id be buying it sight unseen since i don't have a way to go look at it.

Im quite aware of the G80 in the 10 bolts, and the 4l60e, im a little surprised there still holding up. But as a plus they say the have receipts to prove it has a new jasper 5.3 in it. Any way, none of that scares me since ill be swapping the drive train over once i get my ext. cab back from insurance. But still ill need to drive it everyday hopefully a few weeks to a month, or until this douches insurance will settle.

Any way
Main question is for anyone whos bought high millage trucks is there any complaints? As in the overall feel of the truck, does it rattle every time you hit a bump, door panels/ dash wont fit for anything, or are people surprised every time you say it has that many miles on it. Is it worth saving the $4000-$6000 if i plan on being in it for sometime? or should i just spend it and get one near 100k miles?

Basically im buying a sight unseen truck with 250,xx on it. Make me feel better.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought a 04 silverado that had 260k on it, i never had any problems with the engine but everything else was going. I replaced the alternator, watrr pump, had abs light on and i could never figure out why my service 4x4 alert would come and go. I wouldnt be worried about these engines, just everything around it will eventually start failing, just something to think about

#4 ·
really depends on the price and how it was taken care of. I definitely wouldn't be paying 9k or 10k for one with that many miles.

#5 ·
I bought my '05 with 185k on it for $6800, in hindsight, I should have kept looking, but my interior is mint, previous owner must have put seats in it cuz the drivers is barely broken down at all, I got mine 99% rust free also, big selling point

after I got the truck home, I found the tear off top from a lucas bottle under the hood, so its safe to assume the PO knew about the lifter knock when cold, long story short, I put a motor in it after about 12k, but I took an extra 1k out with the loan and kept it for an engine, swapped it myself in the evenings over the course of a week and it runs like a champ now

Ive spent the better part of a year chipping away at mud in the frame, there's tons of little scratches all over the body that I didn't see because I bought it in the winter and it was covered in salt.

the door seals are toast, so going down the highway its not quite deafening, but its super annoying and loud

there's a squeak that I think is from the extended cab door hinges, but I hear it every time I hit a bump, also super annoying

its also got the chevy wander that develops around 125k just from wear and tear on the front end, my 03 had it at 135k, ive just gotten used to it

what I'm basically trying to say, is high mileage trucks have their goods and bads, search through enough of them to find the one thats got the most good and the least bad, maybe find something that was used by a highway warrior

if I could do it over again, I'd try to find a truck with closer to 125k and spend a little more, especially if its something I wanted to keep for at least 3 years

#6 ·
My dad has a 04 chevy extended cab 4x4 with 160,000 miles. He bought it from a guy I went to HS with and I know he ran it hard but the paint and body are in really nice condition. Since my dad bought it he has replaced the rear end because the bearing went, and a sensor for the 4x4. Right now the ABS light is on and the ABS is not working. Structurally, the extended cab doors rattle when you hit a bump. Other than that its a strong truck. It has a 5.3L and he get s about 13 mpg with it. Similar trucks like his go for around $10,000 here in central PA. The truck had the shocks replaced when my friend had it when it had about 80,000 miles.

Not sure what your budget is and that is something you can keep to yourself. If you have $10,000 to throw down, take your time and search for something with 120,000 miles. I know they are out there with that mileage or less for the same price.

Dads interior is like new other than the headliner is pealing around the door jams.

#8 ·
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but the price would still be right after having to pay for shipping.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/5253017756.html
That would go for 15k+ all day down here. I don't even want 4wd but id get it for that price if it was local.

All silverado/sierras are over priced around here. the only deals are outside of town. And Because all my money was tied up in my last truck, and im still waiting on insurance, ill have to fiance it, meaning the owner would have to either be super local or willing to drive the truck to my bank.

The truck looks clean, there asking $6000, and i really cant find another clean 06-07 crew cab with leather around here.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I beat the hell out of my '04 and the only major thing I've replaced is the transmission. It has around 240,000 miles.

#12 ·
i bought my 04 crew for 6k with 145000. i would keep looking and dont be afraid to low ball. the guy i bought it from wanted 8k and he took 6k right away.
I ended up not getting it, he had texas title and thats a no no for my bank.

Anyway i thought it through and decided to stop rushing, ill drive my old beater around unitll his insurance finally pays me, or gives me a rental. You cant get any deals especial around here without cash in your hand.

There no sense in financing something im going to cut up anyway.

#13 ·
Just went through this last week, my 01 was totaled by somebody else and it took a little over a week of fighting with her insurance to get a check that i was somewhat satisfied with. I've been really wanting a 04-06 1500 cc for a couple years and now i finally have one. Stupid luck deal that i fell into that most people wouldn't believe it if i told them. I pretty much stole the truck for free. Keep looking, you'll find what you want

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.