GMC Truck Forum banner

Zone or RCX 6"

5K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  tommy 
#1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6" for my 2012 Silverado. I currently have a Ready lift budget 4" kit and it rides like crap, came on the truck when I bought it.

Now, my local truck shop says it will be $1650 for the RCX kit installed or $2200 for the Zone kit installed. When I look online at these kits, I cant see why the difference in price for these kits ? How is the zone so much more ?

#3 ·
That seems high for the Zone. I paid 1700 installed for mine and it comes with new struts.
It rides better than my friends RCX btw. Both 2013 1500 CC.
So the Zone actually rides better ? Hmmm, thats good to know. I was curious if one lift rode better then the other. Hell, anything has to be better then this crap ready lift I have. I did notice from the online pics of the kits, the zone comes with rear shocks and the RC does not.

#5 ·
Zone requires welding and strut compressor. Rcx doesn't. I'm sure there's an install upcharge for that. And the zone kit alone is a few hundred dollars more.

#6 ·
That seems high for the Zone. I paid 1700 installed for mine and it comes with new struts.
It rides better than my friends RCX btw. Both 2013 1500 CC.
Both use rear blocks, one uses a spacer in the front, the other a longer strut tube. How can they ride that much different?

#8 ·
You got me. I'm assuming its since the Zone comes with new front struts valved for larger tires, and the RCX just reuses the stock struts. But I'm not a guru on lifts. Just reporting what I've experienced.
I don't think the compression or shock rating of the strut has anything to do with size of the tire on your average mall parking lot truck. Has to do with specs of the truck (weight, length, suspension travel. Not saying an upgrade strut wouldn't ride better (like bilstein). I'm new myself thou and could be wrong. Unless one system has an added level or is bottoming or topping out Id assume they would ride close. Also maybe the zone strut is just much better over stock.

#9 ·
.... Spoke too fast and put foot in mouth edit

#10 ·
My personal opinion, go with the RCX 6" and Bilstein 5100 shocks/struts on all 4. Most members on here suggest the Bilsteins with any lift really. You can get the lift and struts/shocks for $1200 shipped and it will ride better than Zone. That's what I'm going with paired with 33x12.5R20 tires.

#11 ·
I kinda of "zoned" out on zone after seeing I needed a welder and a strut compressor. Also higher price into relation to rcx and no response on here after a post in the vendor thread and pm.
I'm sure a properly valved strut that accounts for the added weight of larger tires should ride better than the stock struts set up for stock (lighter) tires.
I don't think the compression or shock rating of the strut has anything to do with size of the tire on your average mall parking lot truck. Has to do with specs of the truck (weight, length, suspension travel. Not saying an upgrade strut wouldn't ride better (like bilstein). I'm new myself thou and could be wrong. Unless one system has an added level or is bottoming or topping out Id assume they would ride close. Also maybe the zone strut is just much better over stock.

#12 ·
My personal opinion, go with the RCX 6" and Bilstein 5100 shocks/struts on all 4. Most members on here suggest the Bilsteins with any lift really. You can get the lift and struts/shocks for $1200 shipped and it will ride better than Zone. That's what I'm going with paired with 33x12.5R20 tires.
Where you in Wisconsin? Where you get the quote on the rcx and bilstein? Could you run the rcx at 7" with a bilstein 7-9" and use no strut spacer?

#13 ·
I'm sure a properly valved strut that accounts for the added weight of larger tires should ride better than the stock struts set up for stock (lighter) tires.
The tires are on the road thou and a bulk of what's moving is the truck thou ain't it. The tires are harder on the power train, steering, ball joints, but I can't see the weight of the tire affecting the shocks for a street queen.

#14 ·
Where you in Wisconsin? Where you get the quote on the rcx and bilstein? Could you run the rcx at 7" with a bilstein 7-9" and use no strut spacer?
I'm in southern WI around Milwaukee. The lift I got quoted by Christy @ MPC who is a forum member here. Search for her and send her a PM for a quote. The Bilsteins I ordered from shockwarehouse.com and they have a discount code for $35 off any order over $350: PL38-2XB. That brings them to $315 shipped. They were on national backorder (ordered them last month) and my order just shipped yesterday so they should have some in stock now.

No, you can't run the 7-9 bilsteins with any RCX lift. They were designed for FTS lifts I believe. You could use the adjustable Bilstein struts to raise the front another 1.77" if you wanted to over 6", but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd stay with the struts on the lowest setting or the next up so your suspension/CV angles are still relatively flat and you get a good ride.

#15 ·
The tires are on the road thou and a bulk of what's moving is the truck thou ain't it. The tires are harder on the power train, steering, ball joints, but I can't see the weight of the tire affecting the shocks for a street queen.
When you hit a bump in the road, the valving of your struts is readily felt. Tire weight has to be accounted for by the strut. A heavier tire exerts more force than a light one. My new 295/55 Toyos weigh considerably more than my stockers. So unless you have perfectly smooth roads(who's are?) , reusing the stock struts
( RCX) is simply a cost saving method, but inferior. Plus stock struts wear out quivk,they probably should be replaced at time of lift anyway.
I will also cast my vote for bilstein though. Great stuff. I'm sure they're higher quality than the Zones (but not sure).

#16 ·
When you hit a bump in the road, the valving of your struts is readily felt. Tire weight has to be accounted for by the strut. A heavier tire exerts more force than a light one. My new 295/55 Toyos weigh considerably more than my stockers. So unless you have perfectly smooth roads(who's are?) , reusing the stock struts
( RCX) is simply a cost saving method, but inferior. Plus stock struts wear out quivk,they probably should be replaced at time of lift anyway.
I will also cast my vote for bilstein though. Great stuff. I'm sure they're higher quality than the Zones (but not sure).
I learn something new everyday. I wonder if anybody has a bilstein and rcx combo?

#18 ·
I'm in southern WI around Milwaukee. The lift I got quoted by Christy @ MPC who is a forum member here. Search for her and send her a PM for a quote. The Bilsteins I ordered from shockwarehouse.com and they have a discount code for $35 off any order over $350: PL38-2XB. That brings them to $315 shipped. They were on national backorder (ordered them last month) and my order just shipped yesterday so they should have some in stock now.

No, you can't run the 7-9 bilsteins with any RCX lift. They were designed for FTS lifts I believe. You could use the adjustable Bilstein struts to raise the front another 1.77" if you wanted to over 6", but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd stay with the struts on the lowest setting or the next up so your suspension/CV angles are still relatively flat and you get a good ride.
The 6" is just a 5" with a longer extension? Or so I thought. Same with the 7.5". So couldn't you run the 5" with bilsteins (no rcx tower extension) at 1.77" ? Or am I missing something like rubbing the uca?

#19 ·
Zone uses Gabriel struts I believe. Bilsteins are far better. Bilstein 7-9 will actually lift the rcx 4" set at 7, if that makes sense. The lift ratio is 2:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Way over my head haha. I just hate the look of rcx tower extension.

#20 ·
The 6" is just a 5" with a longer extension? Or so I thought. Same with the 7.5". So couldn't you run the 5" with bilsteins (no rcx tower extension) at 1.77" ? Or am I missing something like rubbing the uca?
That's exactly right. However, the 6" will also have 1" taller rear blocks from the 5" so to get the 5" and set the Bilstein struts at 1.77", you would have a pretty good amount of Cali lean. No matter what RCX lift you go with, it needs to use the strut spacer with either stock struts or Bilsteins. That's why I'm going with the 6" because it looks perfect with 33's.

#21 ·
That's exactly right. However, the 6" will also have 1" taller rear blocks from the 5" so to get the 5" and set the Bilstein struts at 1.77", you would have a pretty good amount of Cali lean. No matter what RCX lift you go with, it needs to use the strut spacer with either stock struts or Bilsteins. That's why I'm going with the 6" because it looks perfect with 33's.
I would order a new block. Just trying to get away from that welded tube strut extension looking thing. Are you using the the "leveling" bilsteins with the rcx strut extension?

#23 ·
I have the RCX 6" with Bilsteins all around. They're at the lowest setting for no additional lift. Only had it on the truck for a few weeks now but no complaints so far.

#26 ·
I have the RCX 6" with Bilsteins all around. They're at the lowest setting for no additional lift. Only had it on the truck for a few weeks now but no complaints so far.
Which bilsteins? The leveling ones?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.