GMC Truck Forum banner

2001 GMC Sierra lights , question.

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
Is this normal:

I just purchased a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 and notice that the lights are on even w/o me turning on the light switch. Then at night they still are on (like daylingt running lights). So I figure I turn the knob light switch to on to see if it turns on any brighter, but it does not. Weird. Is this normal on the 01 GMC full size? Basically the light on/off knob is useless. I did make sure and my brights do work.
This normal?

#2 ·
shift_it said:
Is this normal:

I just purchased a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 and notice that the lights are on even w/o me turning on the light switch. Then at night they still are on (like daylingt running lights). So I figure I turn the knob light switch to on to see if it turns on any brighter, but it does not. Weird. Is this normal on the 01 GMC full size? Basically the light on/off knob is useless. I did make sure and my brights do work.
This normal?
If you turn the dial to the left, it should turn, then spring back. It will either turn off your DRL's or your Automatic headlights.

#3 ·
Daytime running lights and auto headlights.

DRL are not part of the low / high headlights (3 separate bulbs)

Just check that the DRL are working and the the separate low/high beams are working.

Yea.. the switch does seem only somewhat usefull

#4 ·
04singlecab said:
If you turn the dial to the left, it should turn, then spring back. It will either turn off your DRL's or your Automatic headlights.
you are referring to the lightswitch you hve on your 04 which is the same for 03+, but not the same as 99-02.

Check to make sure the auto headlight sensor in the middle of the front part of the dash has not been pushed into the dash. If it HAS then the sensor ALWAYS thinks it night and the headlights will stay on OR the sensor is bad. The main headlights should only be on at night. The DRL's are on during the day and are located in the bumper lights/turn signal light housing. Many members replace the DRL's with amber bulbs to match the turn signal bulb.

Pat

#5 ·
LOL. this is weird.

As of now: Sunshine out side.
Sensor on top of the middle of dashboard is there, not pushed in.

I start the ignition. Walk out in front of the truck. No lights are on. :read:

Then I walk back to the cargo area, turn on the head light switch to on.
Walk back out to the front the truck. lights on.

Go back to the truck, turn off the head lights by turning off the switch. Go back to the front of the truck, no lights on. lol

Oh well..

-------------> Hey BTW... today I was cruising and notice my little computer in the cluster area indicated that I had low coolant.

I pull over, pop the hood, looked at the resivor where the coolent goes. And it was not low. I loosen the resivor cap and pulled it off. Seem to have air compression built up inside the resivor. Retighten the cap. Light off.. wtf?? :bawl: Is Is my GMC trippin?
You think my radiator might be going bad??

#8 ·
drl's turn on when you put the truck in drive. turn your truck on, put it in drive then walk in front of it and the lights will be on :D

#9 ·
Feed said:
drl's turn on when you put the truck in drive. turn your truck on, put it in drive then walk in front of it and the lights will be on :D
:word:

It took me a minute to figure this one out too, they are only on when the truck is in gear :D

You can try it at a stoplight when you are behind another shiney vehicle. Put it in park and watch them go off, put it in drive and watch them come on :D

Also, you can disable the auto-on headlights by pushing the "dome override" switch in three times in a row. You'll hear a chime. I believe this also turns off the DRL's :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.