GMC Truck Forum banner

Why does my truck use oil and smoke occassionaly upon startup

Question 
5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  xlcooplx 
#1 ·
I have an 04 Sierra slt crew cab Z71 with the 5.3.. I just bought it about 2 months ago.. Not long after I noticed a small puff of blueish smoke after I cranked it.. And then I noticed it was using oil.. I've read a couple threads and talked to some friends and come up with either the pcv or valve stem seals.. but then someone said the pcv in my model cannot be replaced.. So I'm just left scratching my head..??

#2 ·
I'm not sure how a failed PCV valve could cause that, but replacing it is one of the easiest things to do on a vehicle. I'm sure I've done it on my 5.3 but I can't remember doing it...that's how easy it is.

1. Remove plastic cover from engine
2. Pull hose off old PCV valve
3. Pull old PCV valve out of valve cover
4. Push new PCV valve into valve cover
5. Push hose onto new PCV valve
6. Replace plastic cover on engine

http://www.ehow.com/how_7424679_change-silverado-5_3-pcv-valve.html

#3 ·
Literally can be done under one minute. No need to pull the plastic cover. Also, get one for a 2005 model. They redesigned them later. The new style PCV shouldn't rattle when you shake it. It's located at the rear of the valve cover on the driver side of the engine. As for burning oil, unfortunately GM says that 1qt/1,000 miles is normal for consumption. If you wanted, you could replace the valve stem seals after replacing the PCV. They are fairly cheap (under $50) but if you pay to have them done, expect to spend a little bit as the valve springs need to be removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.